Here are ten things from the film that made the new Star Trek … well …. Star Trek.
- Like in all Star Trek episodes, random ensigns die over the top tragic deaths whether by incineration, asphyxiation, or getting jettisoned into space. In this movie, an ensign is scorched by a big ass torch that is used to dig through to a planet’s core.
- There’s a bar fight, and Kirk is in it.
- McCoy gives his classic “Damn it Jim I’m a doctor, not a ______” line
- Scotty gives his classic “I’m giving her all I’ve got Captain!” line.
- There is a temporal displacement phenomena (or was it a temporal paradox in the space-time continuum?) that seems to justify everything in the movie without affecting the original series time line.
- They eject the warp core. It seems that this is always the end all solution to imminent death.
- Kirk outwits the Kobayashi Maru, just like the book, but in a different manner. And this is finally seen on film.
- Kirk, as usual, makes out with an alien female.
- Spock meets himself.
- Chekov is only 17.